Mouse pointer size?

Hi newbie here. Well done on making this product really simple to install and use.

I am switching between an Ultrawide monitor (on a desktop pc) and a Surface Pro (a laptop) regularly on a daily basis. Full screen works very well on both.

One issue I see specific to the client on the Surface Pro is that the mouse pointer on the remote session to Linux (any WM) becomes very small. Under Windows 11 on the Surface Pro, the default resolution is 2736x1824 with a recommended scaling of 200%.

When i was using nomachine there was an option to overlay the local cursor which at least means i can see some normally sized cursor. What is the fix for thinlinc please? Bear in mind i’m using two client machines and would like to avoid messing around with the cursor on the Linux side if I can help it.

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with scaling on Windows.

The best workaround you have right now is to increase the cursor size in the session. In Gnome, for example, this can be done using dconf-editor (search for cursor size). It should be noted that this increased cursor size would then remain if you reconnect from a different device.

You can subscribe to updates on the topic in our bug tracker, here:

https://bugzilla.cendio.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7013

Perhaps you can combine information from tl-session-param with dconf write to create a script on your Linux desktop to toggle the cursor size depending on the client you connect from:

~/Desktop/cursor.sh:

#!/bin/bash
client_ip=`tl-session-param client_ip`
client_with_scaling="123.456.678"
if [[ $client_ip == $client_with_scaling ]]; then
  dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/cursor-size 48
  echo "Changed to large cursor size."
else
  dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/cursor-size 24
  echo "Changed to small cursor size."
fi

You would have to change the ip in client_with_scaling to match the ip of your Surface Pro.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I had nearly! The next question was going to be ‘how do i tell i’m in a thinlinc session’. There could be a way to automate upon session re-connection? I’ll try it out soon.

Thanks

Sadly, there is no built-in way to trigger user-scripts automatically on reconnect in ThinLinc, see this bug:

https://bugzilla.cendio.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2466