Thinlinc and Tailscale

Hello everyone!

I am trying to gain remote access to my home machine via Thinlinc through Tailscale. It works fine on local network. But when I move to an external network, I can’t access my home machine using Thinlinc. SSH works fine and I have accessed my machine via SSH just fine.

One community post here suggests that it is a problem with a .conf file. Is this .conf file on the client or the server? I used the find command on the client to search the system for Thinlinc files but didn’t find any.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get the system to work?

Further, when I am logged in to the server and try to connect via Thinlinc client, it connects, but gives a black screen. The connection works fine when I am logged out of the server. But on a Linux machine, logging out means losing connection to the internet.

However, when I logout, I have internet connection somehow. I connect via Thinlinc to the server. After I logout of the session, I can’t connect back in because the machine then loses internet connection. I have to physically login to my server, then logout again to make a connection.

Is there any workaround for this?

I am very thankful for any help

Note that ThinLinc connections are a two-step process. First the client establishes a connection to the ssh address you state in the connection form. But once connected, the ThinLinc server replies with the address where the client should actually connect to. In a simple setup this is the address the ThinLinc server itself thinks it has. So it is important to make them match up.

You can set the ‘address’ using the follow command

tlcfg set-hostname external-name-of-tl-server

Thank you very much for the response.

This command would be run on the client, right?

By external name, you mean the machine name of the server?

Tobias, thank you very much for pointing me towards the right direction. The tlcfg command is not recognized on the server machine. What should I do?

Hello @hashtaq

The correct command for this is

tl-config /vsmagent/master_hostname=hostname.example.com

After modifying this, you’d need to restart the vsmagent service:

systemctl restart vsmagent

Kind regards,
Martin