How do I configure ThinLinc (either at the client side or at the server side) so that a disconnected ThinLinc session will remain on the server forever?

Currently, whenever I establish an RDP connection to a Linux-based VPS, using the popular Windows-based RDP connection client, the connection session is terminated/ended whenever I disconnect from this RDP connection (in other words, the disconnected session is forcibly ended/terminated). Simply disconnecting from the RDP connection results in the termination of any running processes, applications, etc. on the remote Linux VPS, but I don’t want this to happen.

How do I configure ThinLinc (either at the client side or at the server side) so that a disconnected ThinLinc session will remain on the server forever (i.e., indefinitely, with no time limit)? I do not want there to be a time limit after which a disconnected session would be forcibly ended/terminated (i.e., if I disconnect from a ThinLinc session, I want the session to continue forever, indefinitely).

Hi @nyenggyang, welcome to the forum.

This is the default behaviour in ThinLinc, so you shouldn’t have any problems there. Sessions are persistent as long as the user does not explicitly log out, and may be reconnected to at any time.

Let us know how you get on.

Got that @aaron, and thanks for such a swift and reassuring response! The popular Windows-based RDP connection client has given me all kinds of problems, as disconnected session persistence is said to also be the default behavior, yet this doesn’t happen (hence why my disconnected sessions were always terminated). Furthermore, even after I tried a few different fixes, my disconnected sessions were always terminated (with the Windows-based RDP connection client). It is refreshing to learn that, with ThinLinc, I do not have to apply any configuration settings, in order for ThinLinc to persist my disconnected sessions.

2 Likes