Is there a way to name a session?

Hi all,
I’m very interested to know if there is a way to put a name on each ThinLinc session for a particular server. For example next to the ID number of the session?
Just for reference purposes and it would be really helpful. I think a lot of people will find such a feature useful.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @vladoya

Thank you for your valuable feedback!
Could you elaborate a bit more on this - Is this something you would like an administrator to do server-side, or something that is only in the ThinLinc client ?

Best regards,
Martin

Hi, thank you for the fast response. Just on the client side when I use it to create a new session it would be great to be able to put a name just for reference next to the ID number of the session. I use multiple sessions to one server and it is very confusing to see only the ID number.

Best regards,
Vlado

Thank you @vladoya

To my knowledge, this is not something that has been requested before so I do not believe it will be very prioritized unfortionately :frowning:
How many multiple sessions are you spinning up, and how come you need to use multiple sessions?

Best regards,
Martin

I am using multiple sessions quite often, e.g. for teaching, where I have one open session for each of the courses I am teaching, and want to demonstrate usage of tools. Happened to me once in a while, that I jumped into the “wrong” session, because all I have is the agent name and a timestamp. A label would definitely help in this case!

Regards, Bernd

2 Likes

Thank you @martin
I am working on a project with several other people and we are using ThinLinc to connect to one server.
In that way it becomes very confusing which person is using which session. We are not closing the sessions everytime we stop working just to be able to connect on the next day right away and without the need to set up the session and settings from the beginning. We are using up to 10 sessions at a time.

Regards,
Vlado

Hello @vladoya

Interesting! From your information, I get that you are using the same user account then. Could I ask which desktop environment/distribution you are using?

Have you experienced any issues with having these many sessions running on the same agent and as the same user? Now adays things can pretty easily start to get bad side effects when multiple graphical sessions are running for the same user - It’s not a limitation of ThinLinc, but more of how Dbus and graphical applications behaves.

Best regards,
Martin

@vladoya , @bernd

While not exactly what you are looking for, but to help you forward in your day-to-day operations with ThinLinc, perhaps this could be of help for you?

Best regards,
Martin

@martin

Yes, we are using the same user account and RedHat Linux with Xfce and Mate Desktop environments. So far we haven’t had any issues or crashes. Thank you for the suggested solution but I don’t think it’s very applicable to us. My idea was something like what @bernd mentioned just a label to the session ID probably.