Full Screen & Nested Sessions?

We have a usage case where we use ThinLinc to remote into an externally facing system and then ThinLinc again into other systems on the local network. This works quite well. However, full screen behavior differs between the native app and the browser implementation.

If I use the web browser, once I’m into the second or nested session, I can use F8 to open a menu, select full screen, and then the nested session overlays the parent session. That is good because the multiple desktop menus and limited screen real estate on laptops presents issues.

In the case of the native app, full screen does not behave the same way. Regardless of how I configure the screen options for the native app, when I try to invoke full screen via the F8 menu in the nested session, it only applies to the parent session. Is it possible to achieve the same behavior in the native app as the web browser?

1 Like

Is it possible that the issue is that you’re opening the outmost F8-menu instead of the one in the nested session?

In Web Access the F8 key does nothing, but for the native client it does. I’d recommend setting a different menu-shortcut in one of the ThinLinc clients to make sure you’re opening the menu you want to open.

1 Like

I see, you’re correct, F8 does nothing in the web client. In the web client to native client scenario F8 is actually working in the nested session (since it is always using the native client).

When using native client to native client scenario, by default F8 works on the ‘outer’ session, even if I select and are active in the nested session. However, changing the menu-shortcut key then allows me to differentiate between which session is receiving the full screen setting. Excellent.

Is there a way to specify the popup menu key in the configuration of a ThinLinc session shortcut?

1 Like

Is there a way to specify the popup menu key in the configuration of a ThinLinc session shortcut?

Yes, you should be able to create a harley.tlclient file with for example this content:

OPTIONS_POPUP_KEY=F4

This will solve an issue we have with a new EHR package and want to avoid touching every thin client location manually–in two locations.

Where do you place the “harley.tlclient” file? Easy enough to create with vi, just uncertain where it goes. Not seeing anything in the documentation this file extension. Appreciate the input.

I’m unsure if your thin client has special requirements, but generally the foo.tlclient file can be placed anywhere. It will work like a shortcut for opening the ThinLinc client.

Note that you can also press F8 twice, and it will be sent in to the session instead. It can get confusing which menu you have open when nesting clients, but at least you’ll get the menu. :slight_smile: